Thursday, January 28, 2010

T.V versus Books

A while ago I heard someone calling the T.V " the idiot Box" , at that time I though it was strange,but afterwards I understood why they were calling it the idiot Box.
I have try many times to take the T.V out of the house,but hubby love his big screen T.V and the girls took after their father , they enjoyed spending time sitting on the couch with daddy and watching movie after movie. I personally hate it , it's a waste of time, time they could be reading or being creative. Today I noticed how the girls don't enjoyed reading books like they used to,and how the littles ones are not so fond of books . That is not good, even though k is improving in her reading , she should have been reading independently already,but still struggles sounding out words, that is because she prefer to watch t.v rather than reading her books. I remember when C &T were her age they were already reading at a fast paced , I remember how T used to prefer reading her Henry and Mudge books than watching the Idiot Box. I know every child is different ,but I feel this is not about that , It's my fault, I guess , for not having a balance between T.V and other form of entertainment.
Starting on Monday , I will put an end to the idiot box ( I least when my hubby is at work....LOL)
I will not allowed the girls to watch t.v Monday-Friday . It will be hard ,since T.V could entertain the girls while I cook or take a break,(shame on me)but is a must . I will try to visit the library more often and join the homeschool book club again (I stop going 2 months ago)I want to bring the love for books again in this house.

"Television wastes time, promotes passive, vicarious brain development rather than active thought, and is a source of pernicious social contamination. " by art robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment